Tuesday, November 2, 2010

THE Dress

Now that we know how I got here, let’s get to the good stuff. I do have a particular dress in mind. After looking at hundreds of wedding gowns online, I was not totally excited about any of them. They were nice and pretty, but nothing really stuck with me. I began looking at non-bridal collections and found a winner.

         On the runway.                              Tina Fey at the 2010 Emmys.
It’s from the Oscar de la Renta Resort 2011 collection; although, it’s a few steps up from anything I’ve ever worn on vacation. I do not want the organza overlay or any embroidery. What I love about it is the silhouette. I want to do it in an ivory (or some kind of off white) mid-weight silk.

I know that I want it to be close fitting from the top to mid thigh. I also know I don’t want much “puff.” I like how the lower part of the dress and the train seem to just hang rather than being stiff. I really do like the neckline and cap sleeves, but they may get designed out if they don’t look great in fittings. We’ll see. I’m not sure what other neckline I would want, though, if that does happen. Maybe a strapless sweetheart? A deep(ish) V in the front and back? Hopefully I won’t have to make any changes, but I’ll just wait for the fittings. I’m not crazy enough to think I’ll do this dress entirely on my own. I will be doing fittings with Sharon Blair at Portland Sewing. I will also be consulting her on technical and design questions.

So just how will I be tackling this project? Well, first of all, I would not be even thinking about doing this if we were planning on getting married in a few months. I’m not that much of a masochist. We don’t have a specific date set yet, but we are planning on doing it next September or October. Not quite a year should be enough to make the most important dress of my life, right? I sure hope so.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE it, and I think you will look FABULOUS in that silhouette (including the neck line and cap sleeves, but the strapless with sweetheart neckline would also be fab). Can't wait to see what's next!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete