Monday, November 1, 2010

The Girl

So here’s the story, folks. I’ve been sewing poorly and making patterns, hmm, non-traditionally for about 7 years. I’ve made probably a dozen garments that I’ve actually worn in public, but mostly I’ve filled my sewing bin with the wounded soldiers of unfinished projects. I have always been somewhat interested in fashion and design, but I did not study it formally. I wanted a normal state college experience and a relevant degree (although I’m not sure that a BA in Geography is more usable than a BFA), and 17 year old Lucy was too lazy to put the work into building a portfolio. Now that I’ve been out of school for a couple of years, I’ve realized that I don’t want to spend my life in a cubicle. I know, very original and mid-twenties of me, but it’s true.

When Chris showed up for my denim themed 22nd birthday party out of dress code, I had to whip up a denim vest before the rest of the guests arrived.
Last May, my dad saw an article in The Oregonian about a sewing school in our neighborhood. He offered to pay for a class as a birthday present, and I took him up on it without hesitation. I immediately enrolled in Sergery and Patternmaking I & II at Portland Sewing. I found that I left class excited and inspired, which was about as different from my college experience as possible. I didn’t want to skate by in these classes. I wanted to learn as much as possible and really see if sewing could be my ticket out of a desk job.

Besides the initial three classes, I’ve now completed Patternmaking III, Difficult Fabrics, and a one night workshop called Conquer Zippers. I spent much of the summer stitching away while Netflix Instant provided a soundtrack of mindless romantic comedies. Most of the garments I worked on were class samples, including pants, tops, and dresses. I did manage to finish the summer with a homemade bikini and a new skirt, though, both of which I designed, flat patterned, and constructed on my own.

That brings us up to date on my sewing history, but there is another very important factor in this story because of the nature of THE Dress. I’m getting married. And I’m not just marrying anyone – I’m marrying the best one. He is truly my perfect match, and I could not be more excited about spending the rest of my life with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment